2011/09/08

More Canning

Apple Butter. After burning (scorching really badly because I was cooking a chicken dinner at the same time and forgot) the first batch on the stove I used a slow cooker another. For those of you without a Dutch background, it's basically applesauce that has been cooked down so it's nice and thick and spreadable. Flavoured with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and brown sugar. Delicious on toast. And it got the C-note's stamp of approval. Bonus!
Peaches! 16 half-litre bottles from a 9kg box. I haven't canned them before but it was pretty easy once I got the hang of it. Time consuming, but worth it.
I have only done jam before, and I canned tomatoes once, so I thought I would try my hand at a couple of other things. It's always satisfying to see the results of all the cooking and preparing. We don't have a big freezer, so I have to can rather than preserving them that way. I don't even have a canner (I just use a big soup pot) so if canning intimidates you, don't let it! It's so easy! I use Bernardin's Guide to Home Preserving, and the instructions are simple.

2 comments:

Mrs. Bob said...

love it!
i use that book too. it's the best! :)
it's so fun, hey? i love the look of all the jars lined up in my pantry...
hey, you should try pickles. they're really, really easy!

willowsprite said...

Yeah. Once all the jars are up there, you hate to take them down and use them! :)
I was thinking of doing pickles! I haven't seen any little cukes around here, though. Nor tomatoes, which is sad, because I use tomatoes a lot!