1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, seperated
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Generously grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with 2 cups of the sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time; beat in vanilla.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and two of milk.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold one-quarter into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake in center of 350F (180C) oven for about 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Crumbs on the tester are fine. Let cool in pan on rack.
Adapted from this recipe from Canadian Living. *I've cut one third of the original recipe off, as it made way too much frosting.
2/3 cups + 1 tbsp butter, softened
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Alternately beat in sugar and cream, making three additions of sugar and 2 of cream. Beat in vanilla.
- Frost cooled cake. Tastes like vanilla ice cream! Yum!